Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Small Town in Germany

Like all great titles, is from somewhere else, in this case John Le Carre's book of that name, part of his famous spy series. I turned my nose up when my Dad read these, back when I knew more than he did, but later enjoyed them myself. If you like your espionage  with Cold War ambiance and a mouth full of old school marbles, these are for you. They do require some concentration to stay abreast of the plot, and what you read in the hinterland before sleep gobbles you up, you may have to read over again - although I read them whilst still nursing my second child, early in the upswing after my thrilling descent from Quality Lit through Hard-Boiled Detective Lit, Soft-Boiled Chick Lit, Airport Novels, Glossy Magazines, and finally Department Store Catalogs (still the best bang for my buck) - so perhaps I am overestimating the difficulty.


Warning! There is more than one small town in Europe with this name. Beware the confounding of assignations (in the US we must be sure to get the right Starbucks; in Western Europe we seek the correct
Freiburg). Yes! Finally! This is where I am talking about!
One of the great advantages of life in Basel, Switzerland, is its borders with both Gemany and France (indeed, a decent map of the city will have areas of vagueness assigned to these neighbouring countries). Hence our day trips to Colmar last week, and Freiburg this - they are each about an hour from our rental, by car or train.


Some of The Sights
Merchants' Hall (1520 - 1521)

Store Fronts in Beautiful Old Buildings


Martinstor (an original city gate)

Cobblestones

Ice Cream

1 comment:

  1. Your lament for the rise and fall of reading habits struck a chord. Once a voracious reader, gobbling up one classic after another, I have succumbed to the pressures of work and now my breakfast and bedtime reading consists of scientific papers, back copies of Chemical & Engineering News, and the occasional appliance instruction manual. For inspiration I read biographies. Where has all the magic gone? Admittedly, some of the science I read about is pretty amazing, but when you understand how the trick is done you can only marvel at the ingenious design rather than believe in the magic. I yearn for long-haul flights and the occasional week at the beach (or even better, rainy vacation where the only pastime is to sit indoors and read) when I can immerse myself and luxuriate in a weighty, literary novel or two!

    ReplyDelete